The Archives collects Institute records possessing permanent administrative, legal, fiscal, and historical value. This material includes records of academic and administrative offices, and student clubs and organizations.
Our Special Collections are composed of manuscript collections, rare books, pamphlets, and artifacts related to nineteenth and early twentieth century science and technology.
These collections are available for use in the archives during our normal hours.
About this Database
This database contains selected guides for the archival and manuscripts collections held by the Institute Archives and Special Collections department. Additional guides will be added as time permits.
While most of the guides are fully searchable, some of the collection inventories are in PDF format. These can only be searched within the PDF document, including inventories of the Roebling, Horsford, Skilton, Women's Club, Student Life, Phalanx, Alpha Phi Omega, and Sports collections.
For additional collections, visit:
Search & Navigation Tips
- Use the tabs to browse by collection, subject, creator or digital content.
- The search engine looks for every term you submit.
- To search a phrase, use double quotes, e.g. "design and construction."
- To narrow search results, use a minus sign before the term you want to omit ('rensselaer -polytechnic' finds 'rensselaer' but not 'rensselaer polytechnic').
- Navigate to full collection inventories by clicking Detailed Description on the introductory page of each collection.
- Collections with PDF inventories will have a link to the inventory in the Scope and Contents section of the guide.